The issue of resident choice is of fundamental importance in respect of nursing home care and is enshrined within Fair Deal. Persons assessed as requiring nursing home care have the right to choose where they can avail of the dedicated health and social care that nursing homes provide. Nursing Homes Ireland has now embarked upon a national awareness campaign to make YOU aware of your right to choose where you or a loved one can avail of nursing home care.
This campaign is advising people in communities across Ireland:
• Of a person’s right, as enshrined in the Nursing Home Support Scheme (Fair Deal), to choose where they wish to avail of nursing home care
• Of support and advice NHI can provide in respect of key questions faced by persons considering nursing home care
• To start with NHI members when choosing a nursing home because NHI members are committed to excellence in care
Tadhg Daly, Nursing Homes Ireland Chief Executive Officer advises: “The issue of resident choice is of fundamental importance in respect of nursing home care and is enshrined within Fair Deal. The person assessed as requiring such care has the right to choose where they want to live and it is a decision for them, with the support of their family or relatives, to make. Those approved under Fair Deal can choose from a listing of all approved private, voluntary or public nursing homes. This campaign aims to inform persons in every community in Ireland as to their right to choose their preferred nursing home that suits their social and health care requirements. This right is of fundamental importance within healthcare and wider society.”
Listen out for the Resident Choice advertisement that will be featured on the following radio stations:
• RTE Radio 1
• Lyric FM
• Today FM
You can listen to the ad here .
To find out more about your right to choose contact Nursing Homes Ireland at 01 4292570. The following information will provide you with further information in respect of Resident Choice.
Resident choice is enshrined in the Nursing Home Support Scheme Act 2009. Part 2 (Section 5) states applicants determined by the HSE to need care services under the Nursing Home Support Scheme shall be informed of the names and addresses of approved nursing homes and, subject to availability, you choose the nursing home from which to avail of your care services or those for your loved one.
Making your decision
The decision to move to a nursing home is a life-changing decision and a hugely positive one! Staff in nursing home are conscious of the significance of such a decision and will guide and assist you as you/your relative/your friend will go about making this significant decision. NHI and our members are keen to make you aware living in a nursing home will open up a new world of opportunity. To assist you in making the move, Nursing Homes Ireland has produce its user-friendly guide: Nursing Home Care it's your choice...Advice on choosing a nursing home and understanding the "Fair Deal"
NHI members provide excellent levels of care in home environments where activity, comfort, friendship, laughter and support are part of residents day-to-day living. NHI members are committed to excellence in care and are on hand to assist you with any queries you have and help you put your mind at ease. Contact your local NHI member/members today to speak with them about the care provided and they will assist you with any questions you have. A listing of NHI members can be accessed here.
Nursing Home Support Scheme (Fair Deal)
The Nursing Home Support Scheme (Fair Deal) provides financial support for people approved for nursing home care. Under Fair Deal, you make a contribution towards the cost of your care that is dependent upon your means and the State pays the balance of the cost of your care.
Fair Deal is designed to make nursing home care:
NHI Fair Deal Guide
Nursing Home Care it's your choice...Advice on choosing a nursing home and understanding the "Fair Deal" is a user-friendly NHI guide to the Fair Deal scheme that will inform people moving to a nursing home or considering such a move. It provides you with the important information concerning:
- Understanding Fair Deal
- Applying for the scheme
- The Care Needs Assessment
- Fair Deal financial support
- Your rights
The Fair Deal application form can be downloaded here and can also be obtained by contacting the HSE information line at 1850 24 1850. The form can also be obtained from your local HSE health office.
NURSING HOME FINDER
Find a nursing home in your area...
- 6 Apr 2017
- NHI Letter to Irish Examiner re Dementia Care
- 6 Apr 2017
- Census 2016: State cannot continue to turn a blind eye to ‘older old’ populations healthcare needs
- 28 Mar 2017
- Five Nations Care Forum Edinburgh Statement: Severe Underfunding
- 25 Jan 2017
- HSE must be questioned regarding planning failure for A & E crisis
- 19 Jan 2017
- NHI statement re hospital bed crisis & nursing home bed availability
- 5 Jan 2017
- 700+ beds available in nursing homes during A & E crisis
- 14 Dec 2016
- PAC Should Interrogate HSE Service Plan, Says Nursing Homes Ireland
- 8 Dec 2016
- The Irish Independent publishes NHI Supplement
- 23 Nov 2016
- PAC focus on public nursing home costs welcomed
- 16 Nov 2016
- Short-sighted delivery of health services threatens to make older people suffer this Winter
- 13 Oct 2016
- Nursing announcement provides further evidence of State abusing dominance within health sector
- 10 Oct 2016
- Nursing Homes Ireland calls on PAC to investigate Cost of Care in HSE Nursing Homes