Policy and Communications Lead – Nursing Homes Ireland
- Full Time/Permanent
- Competitive Salary
Reporting to the CEO, the Policy and Communications Lead will manage core business activities within the organisation, entailing the production of relevant policy positions pertinent to the Nursing Home Sector, internal and external communications, lobbying and public affairs, marketing and promotion of nursing home care, and media management.
Nursing Homes Ireland is the representative organisation for the private and voluntary nursing home sector. This sector, and the care our members provide, are essential for healthcare delivery in Ireland. Private and voluntary nursing homes provide:
– Care for approximately 27,000 residents
– Account for more than 80% of all long-term care beds in the country, and,
– Employ approximately 40,000 staff
Nursing Homes Ireland was formed in January 2008. It is the single representative body for the private and voluntary nursing homes sector.
Nursing Homes Ireland is committed to empowering members, leading & promoting the sector and influencing policy.
This is a varied role, offering an exciting opportunity to work within the social care sector.
The role includes supporting our members, leading in communications and contributing to influencing/ thought leadership work, policy and research work to support on key areas of interest to our members and project management and support across a range of innovative projects.
Duties including but not restricted to:
Policy and Public Affairs
- Propose and support policy strategy development and the translation of business needs into public policy strategies with a view to influencing and shaping public policy
- Management of organisation’s ongoing public affairs activity. This will entail taking a lead role in representations to Ministers, Senior Government officials, Oireachtas Members and stakeholders
- Leading out on public affairs and grassroot campaigns that empower members to engage with political representatives
- Support organisation’s ongoing representations to Ministers, Senior Government officials, Oireachtas Members, statutory organisations and stakeholders in the older person care sector.
- Create awareness of key sectoral challenges through engagement with media, government, statutory bodies, politicians, political parties and all other relevant stakeholders
- Monitoring of Oireachtas activity pertinent to nursing home care
- Oversee the publication of briefing material to support NHI Public Affairs representations
- Engage stakeholders to inform re the role of private and voluntary nursing homes in the provision of health and social care services and issues particular to the sector
Submissions & Correspondence
- Lead in the delivery of policy submissions and correspondence to brief stakeholders including Government Ministers, Senior Government officials, Oireachtas Members, statutory organisations, NGOs to advance the needs of the private and voluntary nursing homes sector
- Manage key submissions delivered to inform State authorities and ensure NHI representations within consultation processes.
- Drafting of correspondence to key stakeholders including Ministers, Senior Government Officials, Statutory Organisations and provide response to NGO and public representations to NHI
- Proactive engagement with media to secure NHI input to media discussion regarding nursing home care, health and social care. Lead in ensuring the voice of the private and voluntary nursing home sector is represented within media
- Facilitating media queries to lead responses on behalf of the sector
- Ensure Members are continuously briefed regarding organisation activities and developments by providing regular briefings pertinent to the private and voluntary nursing home sector across a range of matters
- Undertake desk top research support / intelligence gathering for potential projects/ development ideas and supporting the team with research gathering from members
- Produce short, clear concise briefing notes/ summaries/ research analysis
- Research management entailing the ongoing collation of quantitative and qualitive data and research for utilisation within NHI representations and to inform Membership
- Ongoing management of NHI research portfolio entailing quantitative and qualitative research. Monitoring of Fair Deal numbers, bed availability and employment numbers, collation of information from independent research reports, monitoring of Oireachtas statements regarding nursing home care.
- Compile information to inform third-party research into nursing home care and inform NHI submissions.
Marketing of the sector
- Lead out on national PR/Marketing initiatives to engage membership, stakeholders and positively promote nursing home care
- Engagement with stakeholders to bring campaigns together, budget management and creation of digital content to positively promote nursing home care online
- Promotion of PR/marketing campaigns and positive nursing home care stories to media
- Management of publications to inform regarding private and voluntary nursing home care
- Lead in the delivery of organisation publications including submissions, research reports, sector briefings.
- Delivery of NHI newsletter, guidance booklets, newspaper supplements, organisation end-of-year review.
Speeches and Presentations
- Scripting and creation of NHI speeches and presentations to be delivered at Public Affairs Events and Conferences
- Fulfil duties such as scripting, managing media and production of promotional material for NHI events
Public Affairs & Communications Subcommittee
- Lead in facilitating NHI Public Affairs and Communications Subcommittee and briefing regarding organisation strategy and engaging with Subcommittee regarding NHI Public Affairs and Communications strategy.
The ideal candidate will:
- 3rd level degree in Communications, Media, PR or a related discipline.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact, influence and consult at all levels.
- Ability to create clear, consistent, creative and compelling content and deliver in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Critical awareness with the ability to effectively identify, utilise and present data in a ways that facilitates evidence-based decision making.
- Strong collaboration, team building and stakeholder engagement skills.
- Ability to draft submissions, make clear arguments and communicate key messages across and clear ‘asks’.
- Ability to work effectively on own initiative and in a team environment with commitment to personal and professional development.
- Strategic thinker with a high degree of commercial awareness and strong business focus.
- Attention to detail and highly organised.
- A high degree of personal computer literacy, including Word, Excel, CRM, SurveyMonkey, Website and Social Media.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
The above Job Description is not intended to be comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office
Nursing Homes Ireland is an equal opportunities employer.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a copy of your CV to Niamh Heneghan at [email protected]